Book Blogger Confession is a new blog meme hosted by Tiger of All Consuming Books and Karen of For What It's Worth. It is a weekly meme in which bloggers can
vent share their blogging "problems".
From the moment I started blogging I knew it wouldn't be easy. For starters, you have to get your head around HTML and create at least an acceptable design before you introduce yourself into the blogging world. I can definitely say that my reading habits has changed because of blogging. For the better or for worse? Let's find out.
THE PRO: More reading buddies and discovering more books!
1. You get to meet new friends who are book lovers like you. I've never been surrounded with people who share the same passion for books. So I have to keep all this bookish ideas inside. They know I read but we never talk about it. I consider it a bliss that I have my own place now to share what I love and have others to appreciate it and talk with. And that's one of my motivation to read more.
2. I discover wonderful books because of blogging. I've got the chance to read books I may never find out on my own, because book bloggers and friends recommended them.
THE CONS: Reviewing problems and a case of OCD
I read lesser and slower and it affected my over-all read last year which can be attributed to the following:
1. My inability to accept that nothing can be perfect. I spend an hour or two just to finish a single post because everything has to be uniform to my previous posts. Everything has to be aligned. No unwanted spaces. I'm learning now that it's OK not to be perfect all the time and it somehow alleviated my Type A personality tendencies.
2. I don't know if it's only me but reading a book knowing that I have to review it later, somehow dampens my reading mood. I'm not really sure why but maybe it's the anxiousness that comes with reviewing.
3. I have to be a little bit professional here. I also have to take notes all the time so I can have a basis for my review.
4. I spend way more time ogling at my blog than reading. I don't know if it's because I just started and a little bit excited with all the comments popping up or it will become a trend. I seriously hope not.
So it's obvious that the negative effect outweighs the positive ones. But will I stop reviewing to get my old reading habits back? No. Seriously, I think that I just have to find the balance between blogging and reading. I love doing both of them and I wouldn't sacrifice the other one so I could continue doing the other.
What about you? How has this blogging business affected your reading habits? And is it in a good way or a bad way or both? Feel free to share in the comment section below or link up with your own Book Blogger Confessions.
Don't forget to check out my Giveaway Extravaganza!