Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Typhoon Glenda + Weekly Recap

Some of you might have noticed that I was nonexistent for the past few days. Aside from the scheduled posts, I wasn't really able to respond to comments and return them back. Our country has once again been the gracious host to another typhoon with a mean streak, and if you would check this #GlendaPH hashtag you'd know how a darling she was at being a typhoon.

 photo GlendaPH_zps590fa0e4.gif
Yep. This is pretty much Typhoon Glenda.

So on Wednesday, it felt like the clouds were on a wide scale pissing contest only when it wasn't enough, they decided to empty out their water baggage on us. The rain along with the wind sounded like waves and it felt like being trapped in an ocean vortex. It was chaotic and wet, and the air enjoyed it too much that it whistled its delight. I can't even freaking whistle but the air did, and it did it wonderfully and effectively (and by effectively, I mean we were pretty scared shitless). It wasn't long before the power outage happened and I was really grateful for the small victories I could consider that day: I had a fully charged phone and I wasn't in Manila so I survived the flooding.

Power outage for 3 straight days brought us back unwillingly in the medieval era and I seriously didn't know what to do with myself. There was no internet, phone lines aren't working, network signals are hard to come by, and to top it all of, there's no water. We're pretty much cut-off from everything and it's a nice change of pace but I would have gone ballistic, if it lasted for more than a week. I even wrote a draft of this post in a notebook, old-school style. This unexpected plunge into the darkness only meant two things, I need to seriously consider buying an ereader (what would you recommend?) and I'd get to read all my dust-collector books on the shelves (yay!).

I managed to finish Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs and started on Allegiant by Veronica Roth, which kind of murdered my eyes. But I'd still say reading by candlelight is pretty romantic.
You can never have too many Chupa Chups.

This week recap on Smitten over Books: 

  • I reviewed Breathe, Annie, Breathe, a new Contemporary novel by Miranda Kenneally and it failed to impress me. 
  • I waited on Mosquitoland by David Arnold. 
  • I reviewed Some Fine Day by Kat Ross. This fantastic debut is a must-read dystopian novel by dystopian lovers and action-junkie alike.
There goes the recap. So have you ever experienced a nature diss/tantrum that led to a prolonged medieval period stint? How did you manage?

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that typhoon sounds like it did some major havoc and I am so glad that you are okay Sarah! Glad you survived the black out as well, and got to read some books after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank all the little joys that make life bearable, Jeann. It all works out in the end. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I feel so sorry for you! I hope nothing got too damaged by the typhoon too. :( I hate not having power. I know...#firstworldproblems, but I really rely on my computer for a LOT. I mostly read physical books, so not having anything to read wouldn't be a problem for me. But I write. And OH do ideas strike when you absolutely can't write them down. Hehe. ;)
    Thanks for stopping by @ Notebook Sisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Right? I am so amazed by all those people back then who thrived without electricity. And yes, to crazy ideas popping up when you least expect them. I've taken to carrying small pieces of paper and a pen anywhere so I could write them all down. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, a typhoon sounds soooo scary!! I've only had some shortages of power that have come and go very shortly in case of massive electrical storms, but nothing bigger than that. It must have been such a scary thing! So glad to hear you're back and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah! I'm so glad you and your family are okay! <3 The typhoon must have been so scary, but it sounds like you were able to entertain yourself by reading despite the power outage, which is good! Thanks for sharing! I hope everything clears up for you and that you stay safe, okay? <3

    ~ Zoe @ The Infinite To-Read Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that everything turned out ok. How scary. Sometimes I want to read by candle light! I don't really have have any tall candles though that I could use now that I think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it must have been a horrible typhoon -- I know several other Filipino friends who were severely affected by it as well -- but THREE DAYS WITHOUT POWER. Crazy! At most we only suffer from a couple of hours without power, and about a week without water -- FOR NO REASON AT ALL. Which is worse, in my opinion. But I hope everything's okay now, and I'm glad that you're back! Though I couldn't help but laugh at how you described those clouds. Sneaky assholes. xD

    You already know my thoughts on the e-reader thing, so yeah. ^^ And oh noooo, Allegiant didn't work out for you? Yikes... I just hate it when a highly-anticipated finale turns out to be bad. I better just suck it up and read it and get it over with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, our electricity came back after 4 days of not having it. Thankfully, though, we never had any problems with water, or else I don't know what we'd have done .-. I'm glad that you're okay! We had to sleep downstairs because it was so hot in our bedrooms. And go KINDLE! I know I love my Kindle Paperwhite. Haha.

    Faye at The Social Potato Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, that typhoon sounds like it did a number on you. I know that when there's a hurricane here in Puerto Rico we lose power for a really long time. With my luck, probably all of my appliances (e-reader, tablet, computer, phone) would be without charge and all my flashlights would suddenly not work. At least you got to read without interruptions, yes? xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, no! During times like these, I'm really glad that our weather and nature aren't that life threatening as it is for you guys and quite a lot of other nations and countries. I hope you guys all stay safe! EREADER!!! I absolutely love my kindle paperwhite. though I have the first generation one, there are no complaints on my part so far and I've owned it for a full year and a few months extra and it has been a pure bliss to own and read stuff on it. Plus all the free books and huge deals so def would rec a kindle. It's the best when reading outside or at night and doesn't hurt my eyes at all. I watched a LOT of youtube comparison videos so maybe that'd help you? I hope so! I hope you enjoy Allegiant which I'll probably never read. I loaned it to a friend and pretty much don't care if it ever comes back or not and that's a first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I hope you and your loved ones and your homes came away from this with minimal damage! I've never experienced a typhoon before, but it sounds scary! Being without power is tough (first world problems, I admit...) so I can definitely feel your pain. It would definitely be a good idea to invest in an ereader with a backlight, I think! I believe Kindle has the best selection of books out there, though it's a bit on the pricier side compared to other ereaders.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How scary. I am glad that you are okay. I hope everyone else is as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments. I really appreciate and lovelovelove them and will try to reply as fast as I can. Have a blog? Post your blog URL along with your comments below. I would love to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...