Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Let's Talk About Anime

To celebrate my upcoming birthday tomorrow, I would like to share what I do in my spare time besides reading. But really, I just wanted to have an excuse to make this short list. *winks*

I'm a total book nerd but I'm a huge anime nut job too. Although I don't watch a lot of anime like I used to, I have a few favorites that I find myself rewatching every now and then. Without further ado, here they are, in no particular order: 

(source)
1. Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan)

This anime just came out last year, rocking and blazing with its addictive OST, and that might seem not too long ago but fans have been waiting for the second season since forever. This includes yours truly and as we all know there's no fun in waiting. Plus, this just increases the chances of being spoiled (right, Meg?) by all those who read the manga. *shakes fist*

Struggling to survive inside the wall against man-eating Titans, Shingeki no Kyojin depicts humanity at its weakest and most vulnerable state. It is chock-full of action, twists and deaths that once you start watching, you'll end up gobbling up everything in one-sitting. This happened to me and it's bound to happen again. You have been warned.

(source)
2. Death Note 

Many will say that Death Note should have quit while its ahead, but it is definitely one of a kind and deserves more episodesno matter how convoluted the story became.

This anime is so sick and twisted that the evil in me was extremely delighted in watching the antihero deemed himself god and savior of humanity. He's cleansing out the world by killing all those who are evil using the notebook provided by a bored Shinigami, and the scary thing is, I don't see anything wrong with what Light Yagami/Kira is doing except perhaps trampling on the justice system. It's exciting to watch everyone try to capture this elusive and lethal Kira and it became even more nerve-wracking when L entered the picture. I'm quite ashamed to admit that I kept switching alliances between the two brilliant leads.

Controversial and engaging, this anime is a must watch for those who love dark, suspenseful anime.

(source)
3. Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Magical girl anime are meant to be light, so I started watching this expecting a Sailor Moon-esque fun, only to find out I was in for some deep, bleak shite. I definitely meant that as a compliment on account that I was pleasantly surprised and I loved every second of it. 

Deconstructing the magical girl genre, possessing stunning visuals, pyschological and heavier in theme, Madoka Magica intends to enthrall neophytes and lovers of the genre.

And out of all the anime listed here, I would definitely egg you on with Madoka Magica because you'll be more inclined to check this out since it only has 11 episodes. I repeat, it only has 11 episodes. Yeah!

(source)
4. Cowboy Bebop

So if you're one of those persnickety people who value lists above all and check them for recommendations, you'd see this on top anywhere, and it's not without valid and satisfying reasons. This is a mature anime that showcases odd yet compelling characters and relevant, weighty episodes. 

Since it was episodic in nature, I didn't immediately fell head over heels in love with Cowboy Bebop. In time though, I was pretty sucked in and once I read some fantastic analyses (yes, I read them just because) regarding each episodes, I realized Cowboy Bebop is more than what meets the eye and I loved it even more. Heartbreaking and jaunty, Cowboy Bebop would definitely appeal to young and old anime lovers alike.

5. Bleach

You won't see this on any Top Anime Series of All Lime list and I know many hardcore anime fans would dismiss this as mainstream anime with no substance. But you know what? I don't care. We're all entitled to love what we like and vice versa. I love this so much that I started reading the manga because I simply cannot wait for the anime, and I terribly miss Ichigo Kurosaki and the gang. Being a Shinigami or Death god is the name of the game and Ichigo Kurosaki became one despite being a human.

I understand and acknowledge that there are glaring flaws in the series but my unconditional love would still be undeterred. I've watched this series since 2007 and I've seen the characters grow not only in strength but also as individuals, and I'll be in the Bleach bandwagon for the long haul. Even the critics have to admit that Bleach started really strong and it boasts a wonderful OST. Like, Will of the Heart and Never Meant to Belong, which I'm listening to right now for added inspiration and feels. 

I know watching 366 episodes might seem daunting but trust me, you'll fly through it. I suggest skipping the filler episodes and you'll wait with me in no time for the hopeful return of the anime.


So these are some of my favorite anime. Do you watch anime? 
What are some of your favorites? I'm open to any recommendations.

13 comments:

  1. I do like talking about anime though I haven't seen many. I saw episodes from Fairy Tail, Naruto and Maid-Sama; that's all.WHAT?? Happy early birthday, girl!! I hope I can drop by your blog tomorrow as well but we never know...I had no idea you liked watchinga anime in your spear time!! I would definitely recommend Fairy Tail by the way. I think you convinced me for Death Note. Unfortunately, I may not have time to watch it this week because in my spear time I'm actually watching TV shows and there are so many I have to watch; Charmed, Teen Wolf, TVD, The Originals, 2 Broke Girls, SUburgatory,... Ugh, XD
    Really enjoyed reading this post, Sarah!

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lola! :) I know what you mean by TV shows. They sucked up all my time too. You should definitely try Death Note. I would love to watch Fairy Tail but the episodes are so many it's kinda overwhelming. Haha! I used to watch Naruto as well, I don't what happened but I just stop watching altogether. I am so happy you're such an anime fan as well, Lola! Yay!

      Delete
  2. OMGOMGOMG! I LOVE ANIME, TOO! I never knew that you did! *squeals* Okay, we have such similar taste in this beautiful guilty pleasure of mine (because I just spend so much time watching it, haha). I love Attack on Titan, so dearly much! I can't wait until Season Two (the manga better hurry up finishing soon)! Do you read the manga?

    I haven't watched Death Note (yet) but of course, I've heard good things about it. PUELLA MAGI MADOKA MAGICA was the first anime that I ever watched and it's always going to be my die-hard favourite. It made me cry like hell, but I don't care, haha!

    I haven't watched Cowboy Behop or Bleach either, but they're on my ASAP to-watch list. I'm so excited to catch up on watching anime this summer! Have you watched Free? I love it. Oh! And you should watch Golden Time. It's pretty new (ended in May) and it kept me addicted for weeks. :DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyaaa, Michelle! Didn't know you love anime as well. And yes Attack on Titan, I feel like frothing on the mouth whenever I talk about that addictive show. I am not planning on reading the manga because I want to be blown away when the show returns.

      I am so happy you watched Madoka Magica already. I can't even with that show. *sniffs* I hope you get to watch Death Note, Cowboy Bebop and Bleach so I can fangirl with you. Haha!

      Free and Golden Time? Duly noted. I will watch them ASAP. Thanks for stopping by, Michelle! :D

      Delete
  3. Oooo! Lovely Selection, I'm familiar with most of them. Currently, I'm obsessed with Sword Art Online. Have you heard of it? It's so awesome!!! I just ugh!!

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chyna. Yes! I've watched SAO, it was good but it kinda went downhill for me in the 2nd season. I love the OST though. :)

      Delete
  4. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE! *sobs* Why can't I have selective memory and choose what to remember and forget, you know? D:

    But anyway... I'm kind of proud that I've watched two animes out of all the ones you listed here: Snk and Madoka Magica -- and I agree, both are them are amazing. But I still think SnK was much better than MM, probably because it managed to hook me from the first episode and almost made my heart burst with the feels. MM had a kind of slow and confusing start (with the weird labyrinths), but it got better as the anime progressed. I was pretty bogged down with emotions by the end, too. I really liked how the creator took the idea of witches and good girls and twisted them into something different.

    I REALLY need to watch Death Note. I'm currently participating in Oh, the Books! Bookish Games: Death Note Edition and I literally have no knowledge about the plot whatsoever, so I'm kind of surprised I managed to survive this long. I love the sound of the anime, though -- such an awesome plot. Sick and twisted sounds great. I have a pretty evil soul, too.

    Both Cowboy Bebop and Bleach are on my to-watch list, so hopefully I'll get to them soon. Not too sure what to think about Bleach yet, since like you said, many people seem to find it mainstream, so they tend to be pretty harsh on it. Buuuuttt, I shall try to go in with an open mind, and since we seem to have pretty similar tastes in anime, I might like it as much as you did as well. :D

    I'm currently watching Tokyo Ghoul and it. is. beautiful. If you liked SnK, you'll like this one, too. Blood and gore and scary images everywhere! There're only four episodes out currently, so we'll have to wait a week for a new one, but IT'S WORTH IT. The first episode was already so action-packed I can't even. WATCH ITTTT.

    (Woah, sorry for the comment that became my own post, lol.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I encouraged mini-posts on my comment section, right? Most especially if it's coming from you, Meg. You're a speshul snowflake! ;)

      I wish I have a selective memory, too, so I won't mind spoilers that much. And yay for you watching SnK and MM. I know how much of a SnK fangirl you are but I'm surprise you finished MM already. I remember asking you about it and you said you're just about to start it. You watch pretty fast! I do hope with all my heart that you'd like Death Note because that anime is so sick and awesome. Also, don't be too afraid to watch Bleach. It's fun, epic, and it has everything I want in my anime. I love it and I have a feeling you'd love it as well.

      Tokyo Ghoul? This one I'd watch ASAP. Waiting per week is manageable and if it's worth it, then sign me up!! :D

      Delete
  5. "To celebrate my upcoming birthday tomorrow."

    So it's your birthday now right? (Sorry! I have a problem of stating what's obvious!) Happy birthday , Sarah! I'm quite new here but I wish I can get to know you, and other book bloggers as well, better!

    About animes, *sigh*, you could only count in my fingers those who I had watched! Have you heard Special A? I loved that one! And I am also fond of Inuyasha. And Naruto. :) My brothers (I have like 3 of them) are the ones who loves anime to death! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my birthday today! Thank you Margarita! :) Welcome to the book blogging world then or are you just new to my site, if so, welcome and thanks so much for stopping by!!

      And yes I'm familiar with Special A. I'm actually smacking my head right now because I forgot to include that one. SMH. And Inyusha!!! Grrr. Can I have a do-over? I use to watch Naruto, too. But I'm so far behind that's it kinda overwhelming to think of catching up. Great anime taste though. :D

      Delete
  6. There was a time not too long ago that I was terribly obsessed with anime. As in, there was one summer in high school that I trapped myself in my dark room just to watch anime the whole freaking day. HAHA. I still love them, but I watch sporadically now. But I do love Shingeki no Kyojin. I've only read the manga though, not the anime, but my brother is telling me the animation is top notch. I also religiously and fanatically follow One Piece. It has a special place in my heart as it's one of the deepest mangas I've ever read (and watched). It's not obvious from the art, but man, I think I laughed and cried and ugly cried in this one countless times.

    Faye at The Social Potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do that too! How I missed the days. You should totally try watching the anime because blood and gore are much better when animated. *evil laugh*

      One Piece also comes highly recommended by my friends who watch anime. One of these days I'm just going to spout love for that anime that it will just scare everyone. Thank you for the recommendation and for stopping by, Faye.

      Delete
  7. Belated happy birthday, Sarah! :D

    Nonono I haven't watched any of these. *cries* Okay, well, I finished one episode of SnK, but I don't have the time to finish it right now. :( I really want to try Death Note, and the art for Puella Magi Madoka Magica looks super cute! <33

    Some of my favorite anime include Fushigi Yuugi, Mirmo de Pon, Mirai Nikki and Dangan Ronpa! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments. I really appreciate and lovelovelove them and will try to reply as fast as I can. Have a blog? Post your blog URL along with your comments below. I would love to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...