Pages

Friday, November 9, 2012

Review: Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy by Nikki Loftin

Read from August 8, 2012
to August 9, 2012
Book: Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy by Nikki Loftin
Publication Date: August 21, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Number of Pages: 304
Genre/s: Middle Grade

When Lorelei's old school mysteriously burns down, a new one appears practically overnight: Splendid Academy. Rock-climbing walls on the playground and golden bowls of candy on every desk? Gourmet meals in the cafeteria, served by waiters? Optional homework and two recess periods a day? It's every kids's dream.

But Lorelei and her new friend Andrew are pretty sure it's too good to be true. Together they uncover a sinister mystery, one with their teacher, the beautiful Ms. Morrigan, at the very center.

Then Andrew disappears. Lorelei has to save him, even if that means facing a past she'd like to forget – and taking on a teacher who's a real witch.

What Lorelei and Andrew discover chills their bones – and might even pick them clean! - From Goodreads
''Use your imagination, Lorelei, and your whole life can be a fairy tale."

I've read Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy back in August. I know my review is splendidly late and my memory of the details in this book are blurry at most, but I could tell you that Sinister Sweetness is a unique, entertaining read.

Actually, what stuck to me was the sand. Oh, of course the never ending Skittles supplies and any candy imaginable was quite sumptuous and heavenly to think about but what I most remember was the part wherein Lorelei and Andrew ate the sand. Well, not exactly like that but they did eat the sand.

OK, we're not getting anywhere. In all honesty, I would've incredibly enjoyed Sinister Sweetness if I've read it when I was a kid. Growing up as a strange kid, I loved everything chilly and spooky. I craved to  read about witches, ghosts, and creepy entities. So really, this book would just be right up my alley. I know that's not fair since it's an MG book and I knew what I'm getting myself into but there are some MG books around that cater to both kids and adults-who-are-still-hang-up-on-reading-kids-book (like me!) . Basically, while this book would be enjoyable for adults, too, I think kids would devour this up more. 

Sinister Sweetness doesn't shy away from being dark and creepy at times. Lorelei is an adorable kid although she's branded as quite the troublemaker and she carry this guilt inside of her that makes her a bit edgy. In the end though, her true character shined through.  

Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy doesn't just boast a gorgeous cover and one of the most longest and intriguing title I've ever seen but it speaks volume about forgiveness and finding your true self in the most dreadful situations. This is Loftin's debut novel and I'm definitely looking forward to her future works, MG or not.

I'm still hang up on this though: I can't believe that another type of almond in wrong mixtures and doses could produce cyanide, a deadly poison. But thanks for the heads-up, Nikki! 

Photobucket
4 Cupids
An advance copy was provided by the publisher at no cost via Netgalley.

7 comments:

  1. I love going back to my young age again and reading an MG every now and then. Sinister has been on my radar for a long time, and I can't wait to check it out. Oh, and I reckon I was a weird kid too because I liked spooky. R.L. Stine, Goosebumps.... I loved it. Still do. I guess some things don't change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover of this book. My lil' brother would love this. Thanks for great review :D

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have SUCH a soft spot for long and intriguing titles, but it's good to know that there is more to this one than just a title and a pretty cover. Darker subjects, huh? VERY good to know.
    Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably love this book since I still enjoy child's books =]

    Creepy, spooky, fairy tale-ish... these are my favorites ever! <333

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, it does sound like I would enjoy a book like this when i was a kid, but it's great that despite your age, you still liked this one! Lovely review! (and i bet you were an awesome weird kid! :D)
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover! I would have loved this when I was younger, but I still like to read MG now and then, so this one is on the list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to read this one so badly! I'm glad you enjoyed it overall, although it's good to be cautioned. Sometimes middle grade works beautifully for children and adults, and sometimes there's not enough there to keep older readers interested. Thanks for the honest review!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments. I really appreciate and lovelovelove them and will try to reply as fast as I can. Have a blog? Post your blog URL along with your comments below. I would love to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...