Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Random Ramblings (18): My Hedwig

We all have Hedwig's in our lives. Beloved pets and home companions. It could be your goldfish, your cat, your dog, your parrot, monkey, toad, or whatever it is you keep at home well-fed and smothered with love.

Today is the saddest I've ever felt in my life. I was trying to distract myself tonight and I keep telling myself not to blog about it because it just hurts so much but I couldn't stop myself. 

Hegwig's 1st photo
Hedwig came into the family last May 12, 2012. I was so surprised to find her in the house that day because we already have 2 grown cats which made our lives very busy and it surprised me even more that mama was behind the adopting. She said we already reached our cat quota in the house. 

But here was Hedwig.  She was too adorable and charming; my mama didn't stand a chance. She was still a baby so she couldn't eat or drink anything yet besides milk. We were all up for the spoon-feeding challenge because my first cat, Miming, was spoon-fed as well. My dad and I took turns but mostly it was me who fed her because my dad's at work. 

I was rereading the Harry Potter that time and that's where I based her name, from Harry's snowy intelligent owl. I could tell she liked the name since she gets all excited and meowy whenever she's called. In the short time she was with us, I knew she already meant a lot to me, to us. She was very cute and sweet and she really liked to be cuddled.  

She loved the camera. This was
her last photo.
5 AM today, Hedwig watched me leave. She ran out of the house as I locked the gates and she just sat there outside. She didn't chase me around like she used to do, she just sat there and looked at me. It was the first time she did that. I didn't thought that was the last memory I'd ever have of her because tonight as I came home from my duty in the hospital, I was told the most devastating news ever: my little kitten, Hedwig, died. 

I thought it was a nasty joke but my mom really looked upset. My dad couldn't believe it either. She was run over by a tricycle. It was an accident but some irrational part of me still blames the driver. She was so tiny and she was just starting to learn how to handle her body, how would she be able to survive that? I wasn't there when it happened and I don't know if I should be grateful or not. 

It just wasn't fair. She was just starting to eat solid foods and bond with my other 2 cats. I just couldn't believe there'd be no Hedwig anymore. No more squeaky meow response whenever I call her. It really felt like I lost something really dear to me. 

I'd also like to  say thank you to all the thoughtful people in Twitter and my friends for all the hugs and support I got tonight. You are all so kind. 

Hedwig be safe wherever you are. You'll be missed. 

5 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    What a sweet tribute to a lovely kitten! She does sound very dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ate!!!si frances to!!!wala na..naiiyak na ako..i have great love for cats..my CATS!!!so cute

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sarah, I'm so so so sorry :(
    My cat (my baby) died last year, and I know nothing makes it better. It hurts so much, because, seriously, you come to love them just as you love any other member of your family *hugs*

    Hedwig looks like the loveliest little thing, and I can't even explain how sorry I am for you :(

    Such a lovely post. Thanks for sharing her with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's very hard losing the smallest members of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about your Hedwig. I have 3 of my own "Hedwigs" and I can't imagine the pain that you went through. I know it has been a few months but I can imagine it still hurts, and I thought I would remind you that as much as it hurts, it was awesome to have her. She was lucky to have you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments. I really appreciate and lovelovelove them and will try to reply as fast as I can. Have a blog? Post your blog URL along with your comments below. I would love to visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...